Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pure Pro 50 *Review*


I'm coming to you today with another rave review, this time regarding a pre-packaged protein shake that really impressed me.  This weekend I spent two days in the gym with my coach, working high volume days with pretty heavy loads.  I'd say I worked out for a total of 6-8 hours over those three sessions, and boy was my entire body feeling it after just the first one.  I was spending the night in the gym, and was going to be completely on my own for breakfast.  I knew I needed something protein packed as soon as I woke up to feed my muscles quickly after the crazy double session the previous day, and therefore that night I ran out to the local Rite-Aid and picked out the first protein shake I saw on the shelf.  After taking a quick glance at the nutritional label, I knew I'd come upon something very special.  This product not only has great macros, but tastes fantastic and works like a charm.  Its name?  Pure Pro 50 by ABB.

That next morning, as soon as I woke up, a sore and tired mess, I immediately cracked open this shake and prepared to chug it down (just in case it didn't taste so hot, as some canned shakes can be disgusting.)  But as soon as the first drop glanced across my tongue, I immediately threw all intentions of chugging it out the window, and instead savored this liquid goodness as well as I could.  The shake was thick, creamy, and extremely chocolatey (as it should've been, being the milk chocolate flavor).  I could definitely taste the thick milk used in the ingredients, which was an extremely refreshing change of pace from all the watery protein shakes I've had in the past.  Unfortunately the stuff was gone before I would've liked it to be, but throughout that day I noticed a resurgence of power through all my snatches, clean and jerks, and even my extremely high volume squats at the end of the workout, where I hit 105kg for four triples AFTER a total of 40 reps of varying lighter weights.  Thank goodness for that morning protein fix.

But what exactly had I just consumed?  More specifically, what's in Pure Pro 50 that makes it such an optimal shake for strength athletes?  Well, before I get going on why I love the nutritional breakdown of this shake, let me show you the nutritional label:


12/14.5 Fl. Oz. BottlesMilk Chocolate
Serving Size1Bottle(14.5fl oz)
Servings Per Container12
Amount Per Serving
Calories250
Calories From Fat20
% Daily Value*
Total Fat2g3%
Saturated Fat1g5%
Trans Fat0g
Cholesterol40mg13
Sodium90mg4
Potassium490mg14
Total Carbohydrate9g3
Dietary Fiber3g12%
Sugars3g
Protein50g
Vitamin A0%
Calcium100%
Vitamin C0%
Iron8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Ingredients
Water, Protein Blend (Milk Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Concentrate), Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Cellulose Gel, Sucralose, Cellulose Gum, Acesulfame Potassium, Carrageenan.
Allergen Information: Contains Milk Ingredients.


First and foremost, this stuff is PACKED with protein at a whopping 50 grams!  If that doesn't help those tired muscles recover, I don't know WHAT will.  And what I really like about this product is that it gets those proteins from various sources, including a quick digesting whey concentrate and a more slowly digesting milk protein concentrate.  This means that Pure Pro 50 will feed muscles both IMMEDIATELY and over an extended period of time, giving you a more complete recovery.




Second, this stuff is very low in both sugar and total carbohydrates!  I prefer low sugar protein sources, because once you start adding a ton of sugar you start to lose a lot of the support for lean muscle mass, and instead start coaxing your body to start storing some of those simple carbs as fat.  Now I know a lot of people out there say that you need fast acting carbs after a workout in order to force more protein into your muscles, but there have been multiple studies done refuting that claim.  Many EXTREMELY successful athletes don't supplement simple carbs after a workout, and if they do consume carbohydrates, they're usually a more complex carb like waxy maize, oats, or even vegetables (like sweet potatoes!)  You don't need sugar, and I'd much rather live without it.  The low total carbs in this product also promote its usage on low carb diets, and make it a much more versatile option for most people.

And on the subject of carbohydrates, Pure Pro 50 has 3 g of fiber!  That's AWESOME!  The more fiber you can get in your diet, the better.  Fiber helps digestion, allows your body to more effectively use the food it's been given, and helps to keep you lean.  Sweet!

Pure Pro 50 is also very low in sodium, and high in potassium, which is just what you want following a workout.  After working hard, your electrolytes have been severely depleted, and you need a decent dose of potassium to ensure your body can rehydrate effectively.  The fact that Pure Pro 50 takes this into account impresses me greatly.

And finally, Pure Pro 50 is very low in fat, with only 2 total grams, only 1 of which is saturated.  This is a perfect compliment to the average American's diet which is absolutely loaded with saturated fat.  Cut that crap out little by little, and I guarantee you'll like the results.

Now in terms of price, I have to say that these shakes become more fiscally feasible when consumed every now and then as a supplement to your normal protein powder.  They're relatively cheap on their own, but don't really become practical when bought in a 12 pack (like they're commonly sold in.)  It's between 40-50 bux for a 12 pack of Pure Pro 50, where as 4lbs of whey protein powder, which is about 50 servings, is around the same price.  12 vs. 50...hmmmm...I wonder which one I'd choose.

All in all though, Pure Pro 50 is a GREAT alternative to nasty canned shakes that are packed with sugar and lacking on the protein.  It's made with quality ingredients, has a great nutritional profile, is loaded with muscle building protein, and tastes absolutely DELICIOUS.  I would definitely recommend trying the milk chocolate flavor, boy was it yummy.  Who knows, you might get hooked on the stuff.  Thanks Pure Pro 50 for helping me recover from some of the craziest workout sessions of my life.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you said except that it tastes good. I honestly thought it tasted like cough syrup/expired melted chocolate ice cream. xP But yes! Very amazing source of protein, fiber, and potassium, and spectacularly low in sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i work at a gym an we sell these and they are amazing, big seller, best flavor is strawberry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ionized Water has a several Benefits for Your Body.If you want to purchase Water Ionizer then contact Suzuion Technologies Pvt Ltd is known as one of the preeminent Water Ionizer Manufacturers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pure pro is a convenient drink, and a delicious way to initiate recovery after training sessions. Pure Pro RTD provides 40 grams of protein to assist in the muscle recovery process by reducing muscle tissue damage associated with a resistance training regimen.

    ReplyDelete